Green Your Home, Your Family and Your Life!

Green Your Home, Your Family and Your Life!

Friday, April 22, 2011

permacultural aspect: co-operating niches at a...Image via Wikipedia

Blogging has changed the way we live our lives. My favorite blogs to read are those written by my fellow moms. I love reading about their trials, joys and triumphs. I especially love those a-ha moments when I can read about another woman’s life and think; yes, me too.

My family is pretty unique. First of all, we’re poor. Second, we don't care that we're considered poor. Yes, there is a lot of stigma associated with that word so let me say, we’re happily poor. My husband and I are non-traditional students, having chosen to earn college degrees later in our lives than most people do. So you might say we chose poverty, at least temporarily, in the hope that we’ll eventually make a better life for our children.

You’ll never read me writing a review for a brand new product because almost everything we own comes from the Salvation Army, garage sales, or our local freecycle list. We’ve figured out how to be happy with less, how to make do with what we have, how to budget carefully to meet the needs of the five people in our family. A side effect of this is that we’ve learned how to live greener, eat healthier, and be more active.

We grow our own food on windowsills and in the tiny back yard of our rented home. The children help, and as a result they get fresh air, sunshine, exercise and delicious homegrown produce that they pick and eat right off the plants. I’m happy that being poor taught us how to share these gifts with our kids; so much better in my opinion than a life spent eating fast food and walking around the mall for entertainment.

I look forward to sharing our green-living journey with you! I hope that by blogging about my family’s life, others may learn something different, take comfort from our trials, cheer our triumphs and have their own a-ha moments.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment