Green Your Home, Your Family and Your Life!

Green Your Home, Your Family and Your Life!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Growing Sunflowers On The Great Plains

Sunflowers in Fargo, North Dakota.Image via Wikipedia

Sunflowers are easy to grow in any sunny spot and so beautiful they're a favorite even with children. Their sunny faces attract butterflies, bees, and birds. In my area, sunflowers are a favorite home for ladybugs, for whom I like to lay out the welcome mat.

Ladybugs love to eat certain pest bugs and help me to grow an abundant garden without any costly or dangerous chemicals, so I am happy to offer them the food, shade and shelter of a sunflower forest.

I usually plant an entire bed of sunflowers, Jerusalem artichoke and Mexican sunflower. In the shady areas at the front of the bed, I sow a succession of lettuces and other fast-growing greens that appreciate the cool, shady ground beneath the towering flowers.
 
Want to learn more? Read on here
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment